Monday, November 8, 2010

The taste of dried cherries...

That was my suggestion, made in a dream to an old woman. She worked as a sort of camp cook in a curious place I reached in a strange way, which I can no longer recall.

As I walked up she was stirring two small kettles of sirloin tips, simmering in a thin gravy. She offered me a taste as I passed by. Confidentially, I whispered to her that the stew would be improved if it included the taste of dried cherries.

"Did you say something?" I repeated my remark, only to discover the question at least was real. I had been whispering in my sleep.

I woke myself up. I thought I would just write what I saw down to see what it really tasted like. I don't talk in my sleep. I'd have heard about it if I did.

I don't usually dream about food, either. The last time I can recall was about 2002, when I concocted a rather elaborate dip (that I should try again, because though the recipe looks promising the first result was so-so).

I considered what I thought I saw, and came up with this.

Ingredients:1-1/4 lb. Beef pot roast roast
2 onions, sliced
1 15-oz can of tomatoes, diced small
2.5 oz dried cherries
1/4 cup red wine
salt and pepper to taste


Method:
Throw it all in the slow cooker for the afternoon*
Strain out the solids
Reduce the liquid to a gravy
Meanwhile, shred the pot roast

Spoon the cherries, onions and tomatoes on top
Pour the sauce over all

With the dried cherries and the reduced sauce, the result was better than the old woman could have dreamed of, had she been other than a figment.

An unusual taste for a pot roast, but something to dream of.

Served with a salad, half a baked sweet potato and a glass of the house red it made an ample dinner.

Four servings, each
325 calories
25 carbs


*during which time I installed and patched Finale 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment