Friday, November 5, 2010

Souvlaki on the fly

I wondered where the nice boneless pork ribs I found in the used meat bin at My Local Grocer the other day would wind up. Grilled is always good, but even my typical approach (basted with sesame oil and a little soy sauce) benefits from a change of pace. I didn't have time to make carnitas, or I might have done that.

The result pleased us both: a fast and easy take on souvlaki. I didn't follow a recipe. Had I, the pork would have marinated a lot longer.

Ingredients:
8 oz boneless pork chops, cut in cubes, marinated and skewered

Marinade:
smashed garlic
oregano
olive oil
pepper
red wine
orange juice


I didn't measure a thing. I put the first four ingredients in a small mixing bowl then added the meat. I put in wine to cover, stirred it up and set it aside. Later, on impulse, I added a small amount of orange juice, a good call.

Method:
preheat the grill
put the skewers on to broil
after 5 minutes, spray with olive pam and turn
Grill a total of 20 minutes/three turns


The result: another inexpensive and thoroughly delicious meal. I served the grilled skewers with a vegetable melange (an onion, two green peppers, a cherry pepper, and some zucchini with a splash of olive oil, a can of diced tomatoes and about a quarter cup of red wine. When I put it in the serving dish I piled on a couple of ounces of shredded feta. The cherry pepper gave just the right touch of color and heat to the dish.

Eating this became an interactive project: Take the meat off a skewer, slice it and put it in a pita half along with some of the melange. In the absence of tatziki sauce, ranch dressing works well enough. Repeat until done. Success lies in preparing only appropriate portions .. had there been dividends there would have been no leftovers. Neither of us could have looked at ourselves in the mirror in the morning.

This dish gave two portions, each with
calories 390
carbs 70


The vegetable melange consisted mostly of what Weight Watchers used to call 'unlimited vegetables.' I like pita, because two rounds equal the four grams of carbohydrate I should have with dinner. Once again, no frills or photos. Just a quick and good meal for a Friday dinner after a long week.

No comments:

Post a Comment