Sunday, August 29, 2010

What do you do with leftover tomato paste?


Recipes call for just a bit .. a serving, according to the little can, is two tablespoons full - and yet the can holds five servings. I can't speak for you, but I remember times when the remains of a can has sat in my refrigerator for .. well, too long, but let's not get graphic. I could pitch the can up front instead. I don't like waste. That seems just wrong.

This morning I considered what breakfast might be: now an essential part of my present regimen, but never an easy task early in the morning. Eggs? I'm tired of eggs .. and besides, there were none in the fridge. Oatmeal? I had that yesterday. Bagel? No cream cheese. Thought and invention being called for, I asked myself, "What can I spread on bread instead of butter?" Satori: use the rest of that can of tomato paste that has been around for .. two .. days. Everything else fell in line.

Ingredients:
1 slice of bread
1T tomato paste
1 oz cheese (today it was dill havarti)
a little of the mix I use for bagels: chopped scallion, tomato and a few capers
oregano
salt and pepper to taste


Method:
Turn on the broiler
Spread the tomato paste on the bread instead of butter
Sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper
Put the cheese on top of that
Top with the garden mix
Broil for 2 minutes, 30 seconds (or so).


As I took it out of the oven, it crossed my mind: "I've just invented the breakfast pizza. Cool!"






























To round out the meal I added a half solo papaya with a squirt of lime juice .. something so good as to deserve a separate post on this blog, but so simple as to make the idea seem crazy.


One serving:
cal: 300
carb: 41 grams


Let me ask my initial question another way:
What do YOU do with leftover tomato paste?

Comment, please?

Sheryl wrote

"I have been known to spread tomato paste on rye toast and add a slice of onion."

No comments:

Post a Comment