Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Best Salad Dressing In The World

It just seems right that my first post in this venture is the best salad dressing I've come across. It does get some good reviews.

I started making this house vinaigrette about a year ago and haven't seen a reason to change from it. The past three years we've kept an herb garden, so most of what I use in the dressing is fresh culled. It does such nice things to salads that, when I started to crack down on my diet, I changed the quantity I use, though not the recipe for the dressing itself.

BASE:


2C Olive oil
2/3C vinegar (wine or balsamic)
in a blender

add
1 shallot*
-or-
1 clove garlic, smashed and minced
-and-
1/2 scallion

Blend until smooth.


Divide into portions.**

ADD-INS:
Fresh or dried herbs:***
Oregano
Lavender flowers
Thyme
Marjoram
Tarragon
Finely ground pepper (or peppercorns)
mustard powder (or mustard seeds)






















* both the shallot and the garlic together make for too much of a good thing
** I use the little glass jars spices come in - each is enough for 2 salads, or one large one
*** I do think fresh is better

No comments:

Post a Comment